In season 3 of Gotham, all will be judged.
Desperate times call for desperate measures and, by the end of season 2, the situation in Gotham City had approached dire.
“In other words, things will get worse before they get better,” said producer John Stephens.
At this year’s San Diego Comic Con, the pressrooms and panels were the place to glean first hand insight and information on character and plot trajectories straight from the mouths of the cast and creators themselves. Season 2 worked under the title, “Rise of the Villains,” but this year the outlook is even more ominous with the title, “Heroes Will Fall.” Just how far and how fast the descent remains to be seen, but here are a few things you need to know about the third season of Gotham:
Where Season 2 Left Off:
- After Jim Gordan’s (Ben McKenzie) “therapy session” with Hugo Strange (BD Wong) and being impersonated by Clayface, Gordon left town to find Lee (Morena Baccarin).
- A secret society was responsible for Dr. Strange and his experiments at Indian Hill.
- A reanimated and strangely powerful Fish Mooney (Jada Pinkett Smith) returned, shocking Oswald Cobblepot / Penguin (Robin Lord Taylor) so badly that he fainted.
- Dr. Strange’s creepy monsters were released into the streets of Gotham and one of them bears a striking resemblance to Bruce Wayne (David Mazouz).
What You Need To Know About Season 3:
- Say hello to Jim Gordon, bounty hunter. Also, say hello to Gordon actually having his own place to live.
- A new nerve center of power – specifically, girl power – will emerge: Barbara Kean (Erin Richards) and Tabitha Galavan (Jessica Lucas) are running the club, Sirens. Imagine twice the Fish Mooney in one sitting.
- That secret society has big plans for Gotham City. Enter the Court of Owls who have been controlling Gotham for generations. Could they also be the ones responsible for the murder of Bruce Wayne’s parents?
- Gotham City – heroes, villains, and everyday citizens alike – may have to unite in order to fight a common foe.
- Season Three premieres on September 19, 2016.
- New Cast Announcements: Jamie Chung as Valerie Vale, James Carpinello as Mario Falcone, Benedict Samuel as Mad Hatter and Maggie Geha as an adult Poison Ivy.
Our Fave Cast Quotes from the Comic Con Press Room:
Favorite Villain: “If I had to choose, one, I would say the Riddler. When you first meet Edward Nygma in Gotham… he’s a good guy. He’s a little weird but has no harmful intentions. But you see, slowly, how certain circumstances of life push him past the breaking point. I just found that fascinating…how he slowly burns into insanity.” David Mazouz / Bruce Wayne
On Starting Over: “As he left he was going to see Lee, you see immediately what the outcome of that is and it’s not good. So that snaps him back… not into a vengeful place, but into a place of detachment, an inability to pursue this goal that he’s all along to clean up the city and do right by this young boy that he’s met [Bruce Wayne].” Ben McKenzie / James Gordon
A Secret Society: “Everyone has their role in how Gotham is going to be changing and Gotham has a very specific role in how everyone else around it will be changing. And with the Court of Owls being introduced, we see how one secret group of people controls everybody and the everybody don’t even know that they’re being controlled. They just think that their lives suck.” Camren Bicondova / Selina Kyle
Ill Gotten Gains: “I’m really excited about this season…she’s really owning where she’s got to. In this new season she has a club [Sirens], which I’m assuming she bought with the money from her parents’ death which is kind of brilliant.” Erin Richards / Barbara Kean
Monsters Among Us: “In a weird way it unites the villains and the heroes of Gotham City. We now have a direct goal that we all share. Oswald…he’s going to make a huge power play this year and he will use the specter of monsters as a way to rally people around him. It’s given him purpose and given him a platform.” Robin Lord Taylor / Oswald Cobblepot aka Penguin