It may be High Voltage’s first year as registered press for San Diego Comic-Con, but it’s not our first time in attendance and it’s definitely not our first time festival planning – complete with spreadsheets, party coordination and a walking map (to save our feet!). Heck, you might say festival/conference planning is actually a specialty of ours. So, why not share the goods with all of you?!
We’ll be making a few of these posts – one for our San Diego Comic-Con panel picks, one for exclusive merchandise and promotional swag opportunities and then one to highlight top-notch parties & happenings (no badges required).
First up: Parties & Happenings! Go ahead and bookmark this page as we’ll be updating it regularly.
UPDATED: July 22, 2014 @ 2:06pm
Wednesday, July 23rd
- San Diego Comic-Con’s Unofficial Blog is back for another year of “Enchantment Under The SDCC” at Henry’s Pub (618 5th St) featuring giveaways from Warner Archive, Hasbro, Bandai and more. VIP Tickets are sold out. All others will be admitted first come, first serve. 8pm, 21+.
Thursday, July 24th
- MTV returns to Comic Con, once again taking over PetCo Park and inviting Comic-Con badge holders to join them for a free party featuring a taping of an awards ceremony (the very first mtvU Fandom Awards) as well as live music from Linkin Park. If the event it like last year, it will be worth it for the food and other giveaways.
- Female Geeks (and Bloggers) there’s a special meet-up just for you. Join in on the “girl power” at McFadden’s Saloon (731 5th Ave) from 7:30p-9:30p. You could win a Think Geek or Black Milk Clothing gift card. RSVP here.
Friday, July 25th
- Lake-town Luau: A Tolkien Celebration from the fine folks at TheOneRing.net! No SDCC badge required. There will be food (lots of food, hobbits love to eat), a costume contest, games and more. If TheOneRing.net Oscar parties are any indication, this will be the SDCC bash to remember. The down-side: You must purchase tickets in advance (by July 17th)! Trust us, this event will be worth the $30 price.
- Funko FunDays at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside from 8pm-11:30pm. Tickets are now sold out for this event.
- Get #SherlockeDCC at the San Diego Central Library 9th Floor from 7-10pm. There’s a photo booth, game station and much more Sherlock goodness to be expected. Plus Gemeni is performing! Tickets are now sold out, but you can be added to the waitlist by filling out this form.
Saturday, July 26th
- M·A·C Cosmetics is releasing a Marge Simpson inspired collection and you can pick it up, before your friends, one month early only at the M·A·C Cosmetics Gaslamp store located at 234 Fifth Avenue, San Diego, CA 92191. Fans can also receive a Marge makeover from the ten piece collection that includes nail stickers ($16.50), eye shadows ($44), lipglasses ($16.50), and lashes ($18.50). This offer only available for ONE DAY.
Sunday, July 27th
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Fan Event (and Comic-Con closing party): If you’re a fan of the TV show, head to Henry’s Pub (618 5th St) from 5-8pm and enjoy your last night of Comic-Con at a FREE fan party. There will be other like-minded fans, fun and random door prizes. To enter, however, you’ll need to know a classified code word which will be revealed on twitter @SHIELDtv. Event will be first come, first served, but you still might want to RSVP. Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Adventure Time ConQuest – Marking it’s third consecutive year Adventure Time fans (and badge holders) can participate in a special scavenger hunt in order to receive a special medallion. This year’s quest will once again dole out secret text-messaged clues to participants that will guide them on their journey across the convention floor in an attempt to find a suitable bachelor for Lumpy Space Princess to take to the Princess Day Ball. To participate, fans must visit any of the 11 participating partner booths (like Penguin Group or Entertainment Earth) or head to the Cartoon Network booth (#3735) and look for signage to begin their journey. Along the way, you’ll also receive incentives, premiums and rebates on some of the Adventure Time products featured throughout the con.
- Thursday, July 24 – Saturday, July 26, Go “On the Set with VIKINGS” at 450 2nd Avenue. From the moment you enter the “back-lot” you’ll be treated as a cast member. Guests will create a character profile and choose a weapon of choice. Next, they will meet with hair and make-up artists to become transformed into a fierce Viking and be placed into three scenes complete with Vikings ships, battles, axes and villages. When fans have completed the experience they will receive a :30 video to share via Twitter, Facebook or Vine. As a bonus custom, limited edition VIKINGS comic book will be given to select fans who visit this activation. Plus a special VIKINGS Cast Autograph Signing on Friday, July 25 from 1 – 2 p.m.
- Thursday, July 24 – Saturday, July 26, For the first time Nickelodeon will hold an open call for original animated project ideas. Participants must register in advance for their one-on-one meetings and will have 15 minutes to pitch their idea. Guidelines, restrictions, and pre-registration information are available at www.nickshortspitches.com.
- Thursday, July 24 – Sunday, July 27, TV Series Constantine will have a 3D experience for fans at Gaslamp Square (between Hard Rock Hotel and the Convention Center) with limited edition souvenirs. Immerse yourself in the world of Constantine.
- Thursday, July 24 – Sunday, July 27, TV Series The Blacklist will take over Tin Fish Restaurant at Gaslamp Square where you will be able to get on “The Blacklist” via a custom photo opportunity and also receive Blacklist souvenirs.
- Thursday, July 24 – Sunday, July 27, Sin City will have the film’s classic cars on display at the Petco Park parking lot against a 102-foot long Sin City skyline. There will also be a Sin City style photo booth, a live DJ every day and promo giveaways (t-shirts, poker chips, playing cards, mini posters and books). Free for all fans.
- Thursday, July 24 – Sunday, July 27, Adult Swim is bringing their fun house pack to Petco Park but also adding the Meatwad Full Dome Experience. Once attendees successfully escape the Dome or Fun House, they will be treated to free, live screen printed t-shirts, photo opportunities, and get to watch as others attempt to break free of the castle. This FREE for all fans aged 18 and up, tickets will be distributed at the Fun House and the Dome daily starting at 12:00 p.m. and will be open Thursday, July 24 – Saturday, July 26 from 3:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. each night. First Come, First Served.
- Thursday, July 24 – Sunday, July 27, San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina (333 W Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92101) ‘Perk Up’ lounge will offer iPhone users who have downloaded the Marriott Guest Services app and received a LocalPerk (turn on push notifications) the chance to relax, charge their electronics at charging stations, feast on complimentary snacks, create a souvenir “gif” at a gif photo booth and experience other amenities. All interested Android users proceed to the Perk Up! entrance for your instructions. The lounge is open from 2-6pm daily.
- Friday, July 25 – Saturday, July 26, sign-up for The Walking Dead Escape! Three types of tickets available: Survivor, Walker or Spectator. You can also pick up a combo ticket. It’s all happening at Petco Park this year. For more information, visit: http://www.thewalkingdeadescape.com/
- Adult Swim & Lexus will offer Comic-Con attendees free rides throughout the Gaslamp District. Rides will be provided to individuals age 18 and over, and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Just looked for one of the five Adult Swim wrapped Lexus CT Hybrid vehicles.
Be On The Look Out For…
- An Adult Swim branded “Cool Treats” ice cream truck that will feature Super Steve Frost handing out refreshing treats and special help items to con-goers throughout the weekend. The truck will be featured at various locations within the Gaslamp District and on-site at the Adult Swim Fun House and Planetarium.
- Free make-up touch-ups and transformations from Hollywood special-FX artists courtesy of Courtyard Marriott happening in Petco Park daily. They will also be hosting a COSPLAY Contest on Saturday, July 26th and winners will meet George R.R. Martin on Sunday, July 27th!